Grandma Griffin's Boiled Raisin Bread
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease and flour an angel food or tube pan
MIX THESE FIRST
2 cups water
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
16 oz raisins
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 teaspoons baking soda
3 ½ cups flour
- Combine water, shortening, sugar, raisins, and spices in a medium sized pan.
- Bring to a boil and then remove from the heat.
- While still hot, add the 3 teaspoons baking soda to hot water mixture - it will bubble.
- Let cool.
- When cooled, add 3.5 cups flour.
- Place batter in prepared pan and bake for 60-75 minutes at 350 degrees.