Mom's Toffee Bars
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease and flour 9”x13” baking pan
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk, farm fresh or brown egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (can use combination of ½ semi-sweet and ½ bittersweet)
½-1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Cream butter in large mixing bowl.
- When butter is soft and smooth, add brown sugar, egg yolk and vanilla and mix with mixer.
- Gradually add flour and mix with mixer until well blended.
- Press the mixed dough with your fingers into greased baking pan.
- Bake dough at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, until nicely lightly browned.
- While the crust in baking melt the chocolate, either on stove top or in microwave.
- Spread melted chocolate on top of baked crust and sprinkle with nuts.
- Cut into bars while still warm!!! Must cut when warm or they will crack if wait until cooled to cut.