Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Line cookie sheet with parchment paper
1 ¼ cups wheat flour
¾ cup old fashioned oats
2 ½ Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup raisins
¼ cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup milk
1 Tablespoon heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- If the butter is coming directly out of the refrigerator, warm it very slightly in microwave for 10 seconds and then cut into pieces and add to mixing bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients and butter until well combined and mixture is crumbly.
- Add raisins and stir together to combine.
- Combine milk, cream and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Add wet ingredient mixture to the flour mixture and mix until sticky dough has formed.
- Sprinkle a small amount of wheat flour on a dinner plate and turn out dough onto plate.
- Sprinkle top of dough with small amount of wheat flour and knead 2-3 times.
- Roll dough into a circle on the plate and cut into triangle pieces.
- I like to make smaller scones, so I cut the circle of dough into 12 pieces.
- Transfer cut scones onto prepared cooking sheet.
- Bake 12-14 minutes until golden on top.
- Leave scones on cooking sheet to cool.
- Prepare glaze, mixing enough powdered sugar, a very small amount of milk and vanilla extract to make a thick glaze that can still be drizzled from a spoon.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled scones.